Via Sicilia 70 Roma 00187
Service: every Sunday from 10.00 am
The Evangelical Lutheran Church in Rome has nearly 200 years of history. It started when Christian Josias Bunsen was appointed Prussian minister to the Vatican in 1817, and he gave a place to celebrate the Reformation at the home of Secretary of Prussian embassy in the Holy See. The desire for a private worship in German language was felt. In addition, the participants made a request for celebrating the 400th anniversary of the Reformation in 1917, which should be celebrated in their own church in Rome by their grandchildren.
However, this request was not possible in the city of the Pope. But other inquiries were imaginable. So the Prussian King, Friedrich Wilhelm III, in 1819, sent the first Protestant minister – Heinrich Eduard Schmieder – to Rome. After Christian Bunsen himself became Prussian envoy, he also set up a separate room as a chapel on the ground floor of his house – the Palazzo Caffarelli on the Capitoline Hill. In this manner, under the protection of the Prussian legation, were celebrated the Protestant church services in the next hundred years in Rome.